Saturday, July 9, 2011
New Veterans & Family Service Center Now Open in McHenry
The drop in center (currently called Firehouse Alpha) is located 5330 W. Elm Street in McHenry, Illinois and is opened 9am-5pm Monday-Friday.
All active duty Military, Veterans AND their families before, during and after deployment are welcome. No matter which conflict they served in, or which branch of service the drop in center is a community resource to connect with those who have shared experiences. Military families can share their unique stories with other families, with a counselor on staff or with the 4 peer-to-peer specialists.
The services offered include - but are not limited to:
1. Facing emotional challenges of all phases of deployment or with the transition to civilian life
2. Children having issues with siblings or parents.
3. Having a place to share stories with other military families
4. Assistance with the financial pressures associated with deployment or the current economy.
5. Supporting other military/veteran families just by having a cup of coffee with them.
6. Read a book, rent a movie, research local jobs.
7. Connect with other that share similar experiences and challenges and to local services available.
8. Peer-to-Peer, Family, Group and Individual counseling.
* All services are CONFIDENTIAL
The Veterans & Family Service drop in center (VFS) for veterans and their families is one of the services offered under a federal grant awarded to Lake and McHenry Counties to transform the way local services are delivered to veterans. The terms of this grant are that the veterans and their families guide the development of the services. It is not associated or funded by the VA but by a federal grant from SAMHSA in partnership with Pioneer Center, TLS and Family Services specifically for McHenry County and Lake County veterans and their families.
In addition to monthly educational programs designed for military families, peer-to-peer mentoring and professional counseling are also available. There will also be a monthly mobile food pantry, support groups and events.
The center is located at 5330 W. Elm Street in McHenry, Illinois
Opened 9am-5pm Monday-Friday.
(815) 322-2621 or (815) 322-2620